Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Felfs

I have a new obssession, they are called Felfs. And they are designed by one of knitting's most innovative designers, Cat Borhdi. Although I'm guilty of stumbling head first into many knitting projects, this one I have to I blame on my KnitSib Deb, who introduced me to them at a Knit Night a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been able to get them out of head since.

I want to start by mentioning that the profits for this e-book are being donated to the research lab of Dr. David Krag at the University of Vermont Medical School. On first blush, the cost of this pattern is definitely on the high side, $20. Yes, I did say $20! However; I'm not only receiving an extremely innovative and detailed e-book, but I have also made a donation to equally innovative research. Please take a look here for more information.

So, what are Felfs?

They are nothing short of the most innovative slipper ever. Ok maybe that's a bit much, but they are pretty cool. They are slippers that are knit flat in garter stitch and then folded, somewhat origami style, sewn and felted. And, they can be knit to fit any size foot. Did I mention that they are addictive?!

They start out life as flat shape:


After some innovative folding, seaming, and felting they look like this:


These little cuties were knit from Nature Spun Sport, colorway Red Fox. They measure about 4 3/4" long. Oh my, I just can't get enough of them. I think we all need a pair! I'm off to find yarn. I'm sure there's some around here somewhere...

 

1 comment: